Military Insignia was not a new concept at the outbreak of World War II. Several groups and squadrons were firmly established by the
end of the first World War. With the threat of war looming once again, the U.S. Army Air Corps began to expand rapidly during the
late 1930's. The tradition of group and squadron insignia was carried on in a massive effort. Patch designs came from as high up as
Disney Studios, to the guys in combat that had a talent for art. Although there was an official approval process, many unofficial
patch designs were adopted in the heat of combat. Many of the patches that were designed during WWII are still being used by the USAF.
1943 USAAF Illustrated Catalog made available 5" blank leather patches to be painted or have a decal affixed. Patches were produced
throughout all theaters of combat. The Mediterranean theater was known for its carved patches made locally on the Island of Capri.
The Pacific and CBI theaters were known for thier elaborately made multi-piece patches. The European patches were a mix of beautifully
painted leather and embroidered patches.
WWII Patch History